Skip to main content

PDF


Title: Gainsborough flood alleviation scheme
Document Type: Monograph
Abstract:
The town of Gainsborough lies within the district of West Lindsey in Lincolnshire, and is situated on the east bank of the lower tidal reach of the River Trent, some 43 kilometres above Trent Falls, the confluence with the River Humber. The low lying character of most of the town and the encroachment of buildings right up to the water's edge, makes Gainsborough particularly vulnerable to flooding when spring tides coincide with high river levels. The town has been subject to substantial flooding in the past and, prior to the improvement scheme, was protected by flood defences consisting of walls and buildings in various forms of construction and age. Before the mid 19th century, the prosperity of Gainsborough was based on river trade and agriculture. The town used to be a significant inland port with several wharves along the river frontage. In 1849, with the coming of the railway, the abandonment of these wharves began. Over the last twenty-five years, Gainsborough has suffered from an acceleration of this decline and there are now no working wharves left along the east bank frontage of the town. The only working wharf in the area is Trent Wharfage Ltd on the west bank in the middle of Beckingham Marshes. The traditional engineering and river-based industries and the commercial traffic once prevalent along the Gainsborough waterfront have now gone leaving a significant and highly visible area of the town derelict, unsightly and neglected.
Publisher: Environment Agency
Publication Date: [after 1996]
Publication Place: Solihull
Subject Keywords: RiversFlood controlFlood risk managementHistoryFloodplainsFlood management policiesFlood defence structures
Geographic Keywords: GainsboroughTrent (England)
Extent: 17
Permalink: http://www.environmentdata.org/archive/ealit:898
Total file downloads: 14

Download PDF    Display PDF in separate tab